Monday, August 4, 2014

Let's Talk About Food



Like all the other fatties out there, I have an unhealthy relationship with food. Let's face it, if my relationship with food was more about identifying it as a means of survival rather than something to have when I'm bored/angry/upset/happy/indifferent et cetera, I wouldn't be in the position I'm in now.

As my surgery date draws nearer I find myself saying goodbye to many of the foods that I love. Tomorrow night for example some friends are taking me to Klondike's Pizza because Tuesday night is the all-you-can-eat night. Just sit at your table and the servers will bring pizza to you until you're full and even past that as long as you're still at the table.

Now in all fairness, I LOVE pizza. Pizza is hands down my favorite food. I don't like the thought of a world where I don't like it or can't have it, as it isn't unusual for patients who have had the surgery to become lactose intolerant or have their taste buds change altogether. If I had to pick something as my last meal, it would be pizza.

Other things I've wanted have been Chinese food, Italian, and a cappicola sandwich from Papa Napoli's.

I suppose it's good that I can recognize that saying goodbye to foods is  a problem. I understand that my relationship with food has to change and it will. Not changing literally isn't an option after this surgery, I would be sick all the time and probably end up dead from some kind of complication. Knowing the changes that need to happen and actually implementing them are two very different things. It'll be interesting to see how the surgery helps facilitate the change.

D

Fifteen days and counting,

No comments:

Post a Comment